Modern spectacle lens coatings, such as DuraVision® Platinum from ZEISS, provide great benefits thanks to their optimised hardness properties. However, caring for and cleaning the lenses correctly is very important for everyone who wears spectacles. This is because no optical equipment is exposed to the same mechanical strains and environmental influences as spectacle lenses.
Why is caring for spectacle lenses so important?
- High quality spectacle lenses are an investment. A financial investment not only in better vision but also in a better attitude to life and your own safety.
- Incorrect spectacle cleaning can cause microscopic scratches - which are initially invisible - on the spectacle lenses. Gradually, the spectacle lens wears down, the potential of the even the best lenses is diminished and vision is ultimately impaired.
- Scratches cannot be removed from modern plastic or mineral spectacle lenses. The lenses have to be replaced.
- Rinse spectacle lenses at home under running, lukewarm water. With a high performance Clean Coat coating, the water droplets can easily be shaken off or they can be wiped dry with a lens microfibre cloth.
- For more stubborn soiling, appropriate spectacle cleaning sprays can make thorough cleaning easier when used in conjunction with a lens microfibre cloth.
- When out and about, cleaning with a lens microfibre cloth is fine, but the best solution is to use pre-moistened lens cleaning wipes from ZEISS, which are proven not to attack the lens.
- Approximately every six months, you should take your spectacles to your optician for cleaning in an ultrasound bath. This also gently cleans the spectacle frames.
- Do not clean spectacle lenses with clothing, towels or paper.
- Do not use commercial glass or household cleaners for cleaning spectacles.
- Do not put spectacles down on the lenses, always on the frames. Always store spectacles in a spectacle case wrapped in a microfiber cloth to avoid damage by shaking the case.
- Do not expose spectacles to high temperatures of more than 80 °C (e. g. in a sauna or on the car dashboard in sunlight).
- To avoid damage to the spectacle frames and thus to the centring, do not put glasses on casually with one hand.
The pre-moistened, micro-fine tissue from ZEISS ensures effective and fast spectacle cleaning when you are out and about. Extensive testing by independent institutions (COLTS) show that it has better cleaning performance than ten alternative products - with no scratching or strain to the lens. The wipes have an exceptionally fine structure to ensure exceptionally gentle cleaning of all spectacle lenses, even with high quality coatings. It is pre-moistened with a unique combination of two active agents which are also used for medical equipment cleaning. These harmless agents are free from aggressive cleaning substances and artificial fragrances. And the best thing is that the ZEISS lens cleaning wipes can also be used for cleaning all types of sensitive optical surfaces (e. g. LCD displays, smartphones, tablet PCs, laptops, mobile phones etc.) easily and with no streaks.
Tests by COLTS, an international leading quality test laboratory within the optics industry, have shown that its cleaning performance is the most effective compared to ten alternative lens wipes – it cleans gently without causing scratches.
More gentle: the surface and coating of prescription lenses remain in sound condition even during a long-term test.
More thorough: no other tested lens cleaner removes dirt as effectively.
ZEISS is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of spectacle lenses, and is committed to delivering maximum precision and comfort. ZEISS designs and produces lenses, instruments and measurement systems, as well as retail concepts and technology services that continue to raise the bar in vision care.